West Ham United ace Tomas Soucek 'very sorry' as Czech Republic boss announces surprise resignation
West Ham midfielder Tomas Soucek was “very sorry” to hear the news that Jaroslav Silhavy is resigning as Czech Republic head coach.
Silhavy informed the players of his decision in the dressing room following Monday’s (20 November) 3-0 win over Moldova.
The victory ensured the Czechs qualified for an eighth successive European Championship finals, but Silhavy will not be in charge at Euro 2024.
Speaking after the game, as per iDNES.cz [21 November], Soucek said: “He announced it to us in the dressing room and it knocked us out of the celebrations. We were very sorry.
“He was always helpful to the players and it was a very nice time. I would like to wish him nothing but the best now.
“I’ve said repeatedly that I stand behind every player and coach here, because they did a good job.”
Soucek, sporting a head bandage as a result of the facial injury sustained against Poland last week, scored the third of his side’s goals in the routine win over Moldova.
That means the West Ham regular, who continues to be linked with a move to Inter Milan, will now spend up to a month in Germany next summer.
The shock resignation of Silhavy comes at a time when Soucek’s manager at club level, David Moyes, is also facing an uncertain future beyond this season.
Moyes is due to be out of contract in a little over six months’ time, and there has been little indication that talks over a new deal are due to begin any time soon.
The best news to come out of this contest was that Soucek managed to play a full part, despite the nasty blow to the head he received a few days earlier.
That means he should be ready to go when West Ham resume Premier League action against Burnley on Saturday (25 November).